Information about NoCO Math Circles
The Northern Colorado Math Circles (NoCOMC) provide Math Circle sessions for both teachers (all grade levels) and middle school students (5th-8th graders). We work on solving math problems and discuss solution strategies together.
The mission of NoCO Math Teachers Circle is to create an opportunity for teachers in Northern Colorado to work on interesting mathematics problems in a setting that enriches teachers’ mathematics content knowledge. By working on rich mathematical problems together, we expect that our participants will enhance their understanding of mathematics and approach mathematical problems more confidently. In addition, we expect that by modeling student-centered and inquiry-based ways of teaching mathematics, our teacher participants will become more comfortable using these teaching strategies in their own classrooms. Finally, we hope to get teachers excited about mathematics, a subject they chose to teach, through fun explorative approaches and to forge new professional relationships among teachers and university mathematics professors.
The mission of NoCO Student Math Circle is to provide opportunity for local students in grades 5th through 8th (entering 8th) to work on challenging mathematics problems in a setting that contributes to their mathematics knowledge.
UPDATE: Fall 2022 Event and News
Due to COVID, we were unable to continue our regular events. However, we are excited to start our sessions again. Our first event this fall will be with Dr. James Tanton! This event will be on Saturday, November 5th, from 10:00am to 12:30pm at the University of Northern Colorado campus, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Ross Hall Room 2090 (second floor).
- RSVP to Teacher Session (by November 1st):This session is open to all teachers interested in solving fun math problems. In order to ensure we have enough room (and free snacks/light lunch), please RSVP by filling out this form as soon as you can.
- RSVP to Student Session (by November 1st): This session is open to the students who are in 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grades. In order to ensure we have enough room (and free snacks/light lunch), please RSVP by filling out this form as soon as you can, prior to November 1st. The form is for one student. Please fill out separate form for each student as we need to know the exact number for space and ordering snacks/food. We will request parents and/or guardians drop off their child/children and pick them up at the end of the event. While waiting, they can tour the campus or enjoy one of our local coffee shops.
Parking Information: Unfortunately, there is no free parking on UNC campus. The closest UNC parking lot to Ross Hall (11th Ave and 23rd Street) for visitors is Parking Lot C. Check the map to locate Ross Hall (number 12) and parking lot C (blue colored) at the intersection of 11th Ave and 23rd Street.
Sponsors of Our Circles:
In addition to support from the University of Northern Colorado School of Mathematical Sciences and the College of Natural Health and Sciences, our Circles received funding from
- State Farm Insurance (2012-2019)
- MAA Dolciani Mathematics Enrichment Grants (2016-2018)
- Littler Youth Fund-Community Foundation (2016-2017)
- BBVA Compass
- Work-out West of Greeley
- Cache Bank & Trust,
- Bank of Colorado, and
- individual donors.
We are grateful for their contributions!